Dead Man's Hole is located south of Marble Falls in southern Burnet County. The cave achieved notoriety during the Civil War as a dumping place for the bodies of Union sympathizers. The remains of several bodies were recovered from the cave in the late 1860s. In 1951, a group of spelunkers from the University of Texas explored the cave. They reported that Dead Man's Hole was seven feet in diameter at the surface and about 160 feet deep; at its base, the hole split into two "arms," one extending straight back for about fifteen feet and the other sloping downward at a 45° angle for about thirty feet.
Other Land Activity